Aryna Sabalenka makes shocking admission about Djokovic US Open partnership: 'Begging'
Aryna Sabalenka made shocking admission about US Open partnership with Novak Djokovic after his health scare.
According to Tennis365, Sabalenka revealed that Djokovic was 'begging' her to play with him for 2026 US Open partnership.
WTA world No 1 will join forces with 24-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic in the mixed doubles event at the 2026 US Open.
Djokovic 'was begging'
The Belarusian tennis star who is good friend of the 39-year-old sketched a hilarious story of their partnership decision.
In her on-court interview after her second round win at the Cincinnati Open, Sabalenka was asked if she could confirm that she will team up with Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.
The four-time major winner said, 'Well, you know, he was begging me to play with him, and I said 'you know what… of, course legend, I'll help you out. And let's try to have fun and go for the title.' So, I guess it's true. We are playing. It's gonna be so much fun. I'm super excited.'
During a press conference at the WTA 1000 event in Toronto earlier this month she asserted, 'I hope everyone's going to be healthy this time. And I'm pretty excited. I think it's going be fun. And playing with Novak is always fun. And mixed doubles, I played it once in my life, I mean, on the Grand Slams. And we are going full. You know, we're chasing the only title. That's our goal, I believe. So, it's going to be fun and intense, I believe.'
As well as Djokovic and Sabalenka, Venus Williams is set to team up with Alexander Bublik, Jack Draper will reunite with Jessica Pegula after they made the semi-finals last year and Elena Rybakina and Taylor Fritz will play together. Katie Boulter and Alex de Minaur, who got married last month, have also been named on this year's initial entry list.
Starting with the 2025 edition, the mixed doubles tournament at the US Open was reimagined to include a host of singles stars.
The 2026 US Open mixed doubles event will be staged between Monday 24 August and Wednesday 26 August, before main draw singles action begins on Sunday 30 August.
The mixed doubles is now played in the week before the Grand Slam and is made up largely of star-studded singles players with the prize money given a five-times increase to £738,000 ($1million).
(0)Comments