US-Iran talks deadline expires without wider deal

US-Iran talks deadline expires without wider deal
View on original source
Category: Politics
Share
Archive
Like
MG News August 18, 2026 (MLN): A 60-day window for reaching a wider US-Iran agreement expired on Monday without a comprehensive deal, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to again press both sides to return to the negotiating table. UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters the Secretary-General's position has remained consistent since Washington and Israel launched strikes on Iran on February 28: that the conflict has no military resolution, according to APP. Stephane Dujarric said Guterres was urging Iran and the US to resume talks toward a peaceful, lasting settlement as soon as possible, to steer clear of military action and to tone down the heightened rhetoric of recent days. The deadline's expiry follows the Pakistan-brokered 14-point Islamabad Memorandum, a document remotely signed by US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian after diplomatic engagement and a 60-day extension of the truce between the two countries. Separately, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said earlier that the 60-day timeline tied to the June 17 memorandum had become moot, citing what he described as clear US violations of the agreement. Asked about a recent meeting in Israel between Trump adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Stephane Dujarric said he had no update on the latest talks. Copyright Mettis Link News

(0)Comments

 

A note on cookies

Newshunt uses essential cookies to keep you signed in and to remember your language and country, so the site works the way you expect. With your permission, we'd also like to use analytics cookies to understand how people use Newshunt and improve it over time.

Accepting only affects analytics. To learn more, view our Privacy Policy or Terms & Conditions.