Former Australia batsman David Warner fined after drink-driving conviction

Former Australia batsman David Warner fined after drink-driving conviction
View on original source
Category: Politics
Share
Archive
Like
Summary SYDNEY: Former Australia opening batsman David Warner has been convicted and fined A$1,500 for a mid-range drink-driving offence, with a Sydney court also ordering the retired cricket star to use a vehicle breathalyser interlock for the next 12 months. Judge Clare Farnan formally convicted Warner at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday, according to court records. Warner left the Sydney court without speaking to reporters, according to AFP journalists present at the hearing. AI Generated Summary SYDNEY: Former Australia opening batsman David Warner has been convicted and fined A$1,500 for a mid-range drink-driving offence, with a Sydney court also ordering the retired cricket star to use a vehicle breathalyser interlock for the next 12 months. The 39-year-old Warner pleaded guilty last month after being accused of driving a van in April and stopping short of a random breath-testing site. He was subsequently breath-tested, arrested and taken to a police station. Judge Clare Farnan formally convicted Warner at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday, according to court records. Along with the fine, Warner was ordered to hold an 'interlock' licence for one year. The licence condition requires him to use a breathalyser device installed in a vehicle. The system prevents the vehicle from starting if alcohol is detected on the driver's breath. Warner's lawyer, Awais Ahmad, acknowledged that his client's decision to drive after drinking was poor judgment. According to Australia's ABC, the lawyer described it as 'impaired, impulsive and frankly foolish decision-making'. Ahmad told the court that Warner had accepted responsibility for his actions and had completed a traffic offender programme. He also highlighted the intense media attention surrounding the case, including what he described as personal attacks against the former international cricketer. Police reportedly said Warner had consumed three glasses of wine before driving towards his family home. During sentencing, Judge Farnan stressed the potential danger of making a poor decision behind the wheel. She noted that Warner's actions could have resulted in serious consequences for other road users. 'Thankfully, on this occasion that decision did not have consequences for other people,' the judge said, while noting that Warner himself had faced consequences as a result of the incident. Warner, one of Australia's most recognisable modern cricketers, built an illustrious international career as an aggressive left-handed opener. He represented Australia across all three formats and became particularly renowned for his attacking batting at the top of the order. His career included major international triumphs and numerous memorable performances, establishing him as one of Australia's most prominent cricketers of his generation. Warner left the Sydney court without speaking to reporters, according to AFP journalists present at the hearing. The conviction now adds a legal setback to the former Australia star's post-playing career, with the 12-month interlock requirement set to remain in place as part of his sentence.

(0)Comments

 

A note on cookies

Newshunt uses essential cookies to keep you signed in and to remember your language and country, so the site works the way you expect. With your permission, we'd also like to use analytics cookies to understand how people use Newshunt and improve it over time.

Accepting only affects analytics. To learn more, view our Privacy Policy or Terms & Conditions.